USS Talbot (DD-114/ APD-7)

USS Talbot (DD-114/ APD-7)

USS Talbot (DD-114/ APD-7)

USS Talbot (DD-114/APD-7) was a Wickes class destroyer that served briefly towards the end of the First World War, but that was much more active as a fast transport in the Pacific during the Second World War.

The Talbot was named after Silas Talbot, an officer in the Continental Navy who was eventually captured while commanding a privateer, and later served in the new US Navy.

The Talbot was laid down at William Cramp & Sons of Philadelphia on 12 July 1917, launched on 20 February 1918 and commissioned on 20 July 1918 with Lt. Comdr Isaac P. Dortch in command.

The Talbot left New York on 31 July at the start of a round-trip to Britain and back, the first of four she carried out during and immediately after the First World War. She also visited Brest, the main US destroyer base in France, in December 1918.

Anyone who served on her between 22 July and 5 November 1918 qualified for the First World War Victory Medal.

In the second half of 1919 the Talbot joined the Pacific Fleet, and served with it until she was decommissioned into the reserve at San Diego on 31 March 1923.

The Talbot was recommissioned on 31 May 1930, and would remain in commission until the end of 1945. She was allocated to Destroyer Squadron 10 (DesRon 10) of the Battle Force, at San Diego, from 1930-1937. In 1937-1938 she served with the Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet, and was based at Hawaii.

In July 1931 Franklin van Valkenburg became her commander. He was later the captain of USS Arizona (BB-39) when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and was killed on the bridge. The Fletcher class destroyer USS Van Valkenburgh (DD-656) was named after him. Both ships later took part in the battle of Okinawa.

During this period she took part in Fleet Problem XV of 1934, an elaborate exercise involving the attack and defence of the Panama Canal, the capture of advanced bases and a fleet engagement.

In 1939 the Talbot served with both the Battle Force and the Submarine Force. In 1940-41 she was based at San Diego, where she remained in commission.

On the day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the Talbot formed part of the screen of the carrier Saratoga (CV-3) when she left the US west coast heading for Hawaii. The Talbot reached Pearl Harbor one week after the attack, remained at Hawaii for ten days to carry out patrols and then returned to San Diego.


In February 1942 the Talbot was assigned to the Patrol Force in the 12th Naval District (covering the coast of northern California and the three inland states to the east), and was used to escort convoys along the coast.

The Talbot was then allocated to the forces defending Alaska and the Aleutian Islands. In late May she left Puget Sound and escorted the submarines USS S-18, USS S-23 and USS S-28 t0 Alaska, reaching Dutch Harbor (on Amaknak Island) on 2 June 1942.

In February 1942, the ship joined the Patrol Force of the 12th Naval District and escorted convoys along the Pacific coast.

On 3 June the Talbot, along with the destroyer USS King (DD-242), the destroyer-seaplane tender Gillis, the submarine USS S-27, the coast guard cutter Onondaga and two US army transports were at Dutch Harbor when about fifteen Japanese fighters and thirteen bombers attacked the harbour. The ships took part in the anti-aircraft barrage, and weren't hit by any of the attackers. On 4 June the Japanese returned, this time with ten fighters and nineteen bombers. Once again the warships were untouched, but the Japanese did destroy four new fuel oil tanks that had only been filled with 22,000 barrels of fuel on 1 June.

The Talbot spent seven months operating from Alaska, mainly performing escort and patrol duties.

In August 1942 the Talbot formed part of the Escort and Patrol Group of Task Force Tare, and supported the naval bombardment of Kiska on the evening of 7 August.

On 31 October the Talbot was redesignated as a high-speed transport (APD-7), but she remained in Alaska for the rest of the year.


The Talbot finally left Dutch Harbor on 31 January 1943. She was converted into a fast transport at Mare Island, and after the work could carry 147 soldiers and their equipment. On 16 March, the day after the work was officially completed, she departed for Pearl Harbor. At the start of April she joined Transport Division 2 at Espiritu Santo, and the rest of April and May were used on training exercises, and on escort duties between New Caledonia, New Zealand, Australia and Guadalcanal.

In June the Talbot joined Task Group 31.1, part of the fleet allocated to Operation Toenails, the invasion of New George. Along with USS Zane (DMS-14) her task was to capture two islands in the entrance to Roviana Lagoon (on the south coast of the main island of New Georgia). The Talbot successfully landed her troops (from the 169th Infantry Regiment) early on 30 June, but the Zane ran ashore. The Talbot was unable to tow her free, but she was rescued by USS Rail (ATO-139).

On the night of 4-5 July the Talbot was one of seven high speed transport that took part in landings at Rice Anchorage, on the north-west coast. During this attack one of the supporting destroyers, USS Strong (DD-467) was sunk by a long lance torpedo.

In August the Talbot formed part of TG 31.5, the Advance Transport Group of the Northern Landing Force for the invasion of Vella Lavella, further west along the Solomon Islands. The landing on 15 August was unopposed, but later in the day the fleet came under air attack. The Japanese failed to inflict any damage on the American invasion fleet.

From mid-August to mid-September the Talbot was used to carry supplies and escort ships in the Solomon Islands. In late September she joined the Southern Attack Force for the upcoming invasion of the Treasury Islands (Operation Goodtime). She carried part of the 8th New Zealand Brigade Force. The landings began on 27 October, and the transports had left the area by 20.00.

On 3 November the Talbot picked up reinforcements heading for Bougainville, and landed them at Empress Augusta Bay on 6 November. She landed more reinforcements at the same place on 11 November.

In mid November the Talbot left Gualalcanal at the start of another run to Bougainville, as part of a group of six fast transports. On 16 November her group joined up with a force of LSTs and destroyers, and together they made for Empress Augusta Bay.

At 3am on 17 November a Japanese snooper aircraft dropped a flair behind the convoy. This was followed by a hour of aerial attack, and the high speed transport USS McKean (APD-5/ DD-90), a sister ship of the Talbot, was hit by a torpedo. The Talbot and the Sigourney (DD-643) attempted to rescue the survivors from the McKean, despite coming under constant attack. The Talbot's boats managed to pick up 68 crew and 106 marines from the McKean.

The Talbot reached Cape Torokina, at the southern side of the beachhead and had to land her troops in the middle of an air raid. She then returned to Gualalcanal, before making a round trip to Syndey.


In mid January the Talbot patrolled between Lunga Point and Koli Point on Guadalcanal for two weeks. Late in the month she joined the force heading for the Green Islands. She helped land a reconnaissance part on the night of 29-30 January, and collected them on 31 January. This alerted the Japanese, but even the reinforced garrison was badly outnumbered. The Talbot then carried New Zealand troops on the main invasion of the Green Islands, which began on 15 February. The islands were secured in six days.

On 20 March the Talbot landed part of the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Division, at Emirau in the St. Matthias Islands. She then went to New Guinea to practise with the 168th Army Regimental Combat Team.

On 22 April the Talbot landed 145 men from the 168th at Aitape, shelled Tumeo Island and then returned to base. She then ferried supplies and reinforcements to the Aitape landing area until 10 May.

During the second half of May the Talbot trained with underwater demolition teams (UDTs). She was then allocated to the invasion force for the upcoming attack on the Marianas.

On 10 June the task group got underway for the Marianas, but late in the day one of the destroyers in the group's screen reported a sound contact. An emergency 90 degree left turn was ordered, and during this turn the Talbot collided with the battleship Pennsylvania (BB-38). It wasn't unusual for this sort of collision to end with the loss of the more lightly built destroyer, but on this occasion the Talbot was lucky. Several compartments were flooded and she had to return to Kwajalein for repairs, but the damage was minor and she was able to return to sea on 12 June. The Pennsylvania was able to remain with the fleet all along, and took part in the pre-invasion bombardment of Saipan on 14 June. The Talbot was back in time to take part in the landings on D-Day for Saipan, 15 June.

During the first few days the Talbot formed part of the screen for the bombardment group. On 17 June she rescued a survivor from a Japanese boat, a rare prisoner. She then had to withdraw to the transport area to deal with engine problems, where she was narrowly missed by Japanese bombs. The engine problems suggested that she needed an overhaul, and after transferring her UDT to the USS Kane (APD-18) she departed to San Francisco and an overhaul that lasted form 11 July to 28 August.

The Talbot returned to the combat area in October 1944. She picked up UDT No.3, and joined TG 77.6, the Bombardment and Fire Support Group for the invasion of Leyte. On 18 October her divers inspected the waters beween San Jose and Dulag, and despite coming under Japanese fire suffered no casualties. The Talbot left Leyte with a convoy, and reached Seeadler Harbour on 27 October. The UDT was transferred to the USS President Hayes (AP-39). The Talbot escorted the George Clymer (AP-57) to Cape Gloucester, and then returned to Seeadler Harbor on 8 November.

On 10 November the ammunition ship USS Mount Hood (AE-11) exploded while anchored in Seeadler Harbor. She was carrying 3,800 tons of ordnance, and the massive explosion caused heavy casualties in the crowded anchorage (45 known dead, 327 missing (presumed dead) and 371 injured. The only survivors from the Mount Hood were a party that had been on shore at the time. The Talbot was only 800 yards away and was hit by 600lb of debris. Luckly none of her crew were killed, although several were injured. She lowered her boats to search for survivors, but found none.

The Talbot needed significant repairs, but by 15 December she was ready to return to action, and left for Noemfoor, where she took part in amphibious exercises with the 158th RCT.


At the start of 1945 the Talbot took part in the invasion of Luzon. She was involved in the early stages of the invasion of Lingayen Gulf on Luzon, departing with Task Unit 77.9.8 on 4 January 1945 and landing reinforcements at San Fabian, in the gulf, a week later, soon after the initial landings on 9 January. She then moved to Leyte, where on 26 January she picked up part of the 11th Airborne Division. She landed these troops at Nasugbu on 31 January, where they formed part of the second wave to be landed on the first day of the battle. She was then used to move mortar and rocket boats from Mindoro to Leyte.

On 14 February she picked up troops from the 151st Infantry Regiment, and on 15 February she landed them at Mariveles Harbor, part of the American invasion of southern Bataan. On 17 February, the second day of the battle, she landed reinforcements on Corregidor.

This ended the Talbot's career as a front line troop transport, but she remained active in the war zone until June. After landing troops on Corregidor she escorted a convoy back to Ulithi. After a break of several weeks she was sent to Guam, and then on to Parece Vela (now the Okinotori Islands), an tiny atoll 1,000 miles south of Tokyo that is now the southernmost part of Japan, to investigate if it was a suitable place for a radio, weather and observation station. She was back at Guam on 20 April and at Ulilthi on 21 April.

On 22 April the Talbot joined a convoy heading for Okinawa. On 27 April she began a short spell of anti-submarine patrols to the south of Kerama Retto (a group of islands 20 miles to the south-west of Okinawa). On 30 April she joined a convoy and accompanied it back to Saipan.

On 1 May 1945 the Talbot was part of Transport Division 100, along with six other older destroyers.

The Talbot's last active service saw her return to Kerama Retto, where she served as a picket ship from 22 May to 6 June.

From Kerama Retto she returned to Saipan, and then back to San Pedro via Eniwetok and Hawaii. At first the plan was to convert her back into a destroyer. She reached San Pedro on 6 July and was redesignated as DD-114 on 16 July. Soon afterwards it was decided that she was surplus to requirement. The Talbot was decommissioned on 9 October, struck off on 24 October and sold for scrap on 30 January 1946.

The Talbot received eight battle stars during the Second World War, for New Georgia, Treasury-Bougainville, the Bismarck Archipelago, Hollandia, the Marianas, Leyte, Manila Bay-Bicol and Okinawa Gunto

Displacement (standard)

1,160t (design)

Displacement (loaded)

Top Speed

35kts (design)
35.34kts at 24,610shp at 1,149t on trial (Wickes)


2 shaft Parsons turbines
4 boilers
24,200shp (design)


3,800nm at 15kts on trial (Wickes)
2,850nm at 20kts on trial (Wickes)

Armour - belt

- deck


314ft 4in


30ft 11in

Armaments (as built)

Four 4in/50 guns
Twelve 21in torpedoes in four triple tubes
Two depth charge tracks

Crew complement


Laid Down

12 July 1917


20 February 1918


20 July 1918


9 October 1945

Struck off

24 October 1945

Sold for Scrap

30 January 1946

USS Talbot (DD 114)

Decommissioned at San Diego, California, 31 March 1923
Recommissioned 31 May 1930
Reclassified high speed transport APD-7 on 15 March 1943
Reclassified back to DD-114 on 16 July 1945
Decommissioned at San Pedro, Calofornia 9 October 1945
Stricken 24 October 1945
Sold 30 January 1946 and broken up for scrap.

Commands listed for USS Talbot (DD 114)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Max Clifford Stormes, USN21 Apr 193931 May 1941
2Lt.Cdr. Edward Alspaugh McFall, USN31 May 19411 Jun 1942
3T/Lt.Cdr. Gustave Norman Johansen, USNmid 194224 Feb 1943
4Charles Cushman Morgan, USNR24 Feb 194312 Jun 1945
5Kenneth Byron Sill, USNR12 Jun 19459 Jul 1945
6Frank Stewart Streeter, USNR9 Jul 19458 Aug 1945
7Kenneth Byron Sill, USNR8 Aug 19459 Oct 1945

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Media links

The table below contains the names of sailors who served aboard the USS Talbot (FFG 4). Please keep in mind that this list does only include records of people who submitted their information for publication on this website. If you also served aboard and you remember one of the people below you can click on the name to send an email to the respective sailor. Would you like to have such a crew list on your website?

Looking for US Navy memorabilia? Try the Ship's Store.

There are 208 crew members registered for the USS Talbot (FFG 4).

Select the period (starting by the reporting year): precomm &ndash 1971 | 1972 &ndash 1975 | 1976 &ndash 1979 | 1980 &ndash 1984 | 1985 &ndash now

Kitchens, BrentGMG3Jan 14, 1985 &ndash Mar 26, 1986WEPS
Horst, GregOS3Mar 1985 &ndash Sep 1987OIFirst and only Ship. Great times.I am proud to have served.
Hall, EverettFNMar 1985 &ndash 1988M
Beadle, JohnSTG3Jun 1985 &ndash Apr 1987Weps
Appleton, JohnOS2Jun 1, 1985 &ndash Aug 1, 1988OIFirst ship tour! Still active duty serving in Virginia Beach. Lots of great memories onboard Talbot.
Welch, AndyEWC(SW)Jul 1985 &ndash Oct 1988OI
Winzer, KenSK3Jul 10, 1985 &ndash Jul 23, 1987Supply
McCamey, Kenny "Doc"HM2Oct 31, 1985 &ndash Dec 17, 1987oxTALBOT was my one and only ship. A great experience that will last a lifetime. Would love to know where the rest of the crew is.
Heaton, StephenE5/MM2Nov 12, 1985 &ndash Dec 15, 1987A-DivI hate to say it, but I hated this ship and 95% of the chiefs on this boat were the worse group I ever served with and the O's in Engineering, not much good to say, the BTCS was the best at keeping that German boiler Junk heap going.
Ciesielczyk, WilliamHT2Dec 1985 &ndash 1989RI was the last shipmate aboard "I believe" before turning the ship over to the base. Best of times!
Cunningham, BradEW3Dec 12, 1985 &ndash Jan 4, 1988OIPersian Gulf Tour, 120 degrees everyday, a lot of Eyeball liberty, Kenny McCamey we had some good times. While in port we had a great Oylmpics games against other ships. Our soccer team was the champs
Crosland, James (Jim) BT31986 &ndash 1988Enginering
Joaquin, BrianHMSN1986 &ndash 1988Operations
Johnstone, JeffE31986 &ndash 1988DeckThis was my first shipment. Had a blast those 2 years with everybody especially John Jenkins boxing wherever we could. Tough man right there!
Beever, BruceFNJan 10, 1986 &ndash Sep 1988MI recall many of you, especially Doc McCamey. This was my first ship I had a lot of good times, and got into a lot of trouble at other times! Went back to school, and now I am teaching History and English in Louisiana.
Cotter, Matthew/strikerQM3Feb 1986 &ndash Apr 19881st/OpsTime of my life.
Baker, HyattFireman/E3May 1, 1986 &ndash Jul 1, 1988A/EA lot of growing up during the two years on Talbot. I'm very appreciative of those who helped me get there. Currently a research computer engineer at the Air Force Research Lab, WPAFB, Dayton.
Campbell, Terrence TcSNMay 14, 1986 &ndash Aug 19, 1988deckhey i see an remember some of yu
Gibson, DannyBMSNMay 20, 1986 &ndash Jan 20, 19871ST
Bellagamba, Alberto/betogmg3 /gmgsnMay 30, 1986 &ndash Apr 19, 1988gunners. matewhen I first reported a board came on as a staying with the BM's then reported to kitchen duty then after a few months talk to the chief went about becoming a GM and that's what I did tell the time I left Miss those days
Knowles, MichaelBT3Jul 22, 1986 &ndash Sep 22, 1988BAssigned to B Div. fireroom. was on persian gulf cruise in 1986 and decommision in 1988. left navy in 1994 as BT2. now Sgt in TN Army Nat. Grd. Iraq War vet returned nov. 2005. live in Clinton TN near Knoxville.
Jenkins, JohnDeck E3Aug 1986 &ndash 1988FirstDeck division were the biggest partiers on the ship! Terrance & Royce it feels like just yesterday we were hanging out at the Mayport mall.
Campbell, Terrence TcSNOct 20, 1986 &ndash Oct 22, 1988deckhey royce i remember you the drummer LT's name was clarkien he went to holy cross tp cruiser capt
Wagner, RoyceSEAMANDec 1986 &ndash 1988DeckSenior Chief Kelley Broaderick was our boatswain's mate chief. Had a real cool lieutenant too but can't remember his name.
Phelps, JohnFC2Dec 1986 &ndash Sep 1988Weps
Mulkey, MarionE21987 &ndash 1988Boatswain's Locker
Kroetz, TrentSNJan 18, 1987 &ndash Sep 1, 1988DeckServed on Talbot as Deck Seaman with some unforgettable characters (TC, Royce, Jeff Johnstone (Stone), Corey Paul Williams, Smitty)..Hey Royce, the Lieutenant was Chris Clarksen.
Quire, JeffFNNov 1987 &ndash Sep 1988 knowles i remember you. you sold me an old bike so i could get around mayport. what a place to work and live.
Diaz, JunSNDec 1, 1987 &ndash Jul 29, 1988DeckLooking for some old friends when we were in Mayport, Florida.
Horst, GregoryOS31988 &ndash 1990OPs
Ferris, MikeFNJan 3, 1988 &ndash Sep 30, 1988 This was the hardest working group of people I've ever worked with. I'm a plank owner and prepped her for decomm. I was young and impressionable then and I learned alot. EMCS Cizar and EMC Olheiser were great to work for and treated me as an

Select the period (starting by the reporting year): precomm &ndash 1971 | 1972 &ndash 1975 | 1976 &ndash 1979 | 1980 &ndash 1984 | 1985 &ndash now

USS Talbot (DD-114/ APD-7) - History

The Famed Green Dragons, The Four Stack APD's of WWII
By: Curt Clark, CWO3, USN, RET, USS Talbot APD-7
(Turner Publishing Company)

(192 pages, photos, drawings, maps)

Reviewer: Bernard R. Ditter

Rating: Four Stars--Highly recommended. An excellent book.

The Famed Green Dragons is like your first taste of vanilla ice cream. You know that you like it and that you will finish the half gallon. . . .but not in one sitting.

Although I should not reveal this, I am reviewing this book before consuming the entire package. However, I do not intend to return it until I do. Receiving this book makes me wish that the reviewer was entitled to keep the books that they review.

Bound in an attractive green with an excellent picture of the USS Manley (APD-1/DD-74) gracing its cover, this book will be one that will not be tucked away in the bookcase but kept in full view to be looked at again and again. It is a compendium of information about the thirty-two ships and their crews who were "The Green Dragons".

Operating in 13 areas of operation in Europe and the Pacific and in 262 engagements in 58 locations, the men of these ships received 201 battle stars, 8 navy Unit Commendations, 7 Presidential Unit Citations and too many individual awards and commendations to count.

This book contains a chronology of the war as seen from the decks of an APD, a brief history of each ship and a more detailed account of their operations, a look at life on board and some personal observations (AKA sea stories), mini biographies of some of the crew, memorials to survivors and family and much more.

This book is an absolute must for any survivors and/or families of survivors and participants. This book so filled with factoids and detail that it might scare off some but it is so obviously a labor of love that that emotion takes hold of the reader and insists that they keep turning the pages. I know that I did and stopped long enough to write this review so I could persuade others to run out and buy this book.

USS Talbot (DD-114/ APD-7) - History

13,910 Tons
459' 2' x 28' 3" x 28' 3"
1 x 5"/38 gun
4 x 3"/50 gun
2 x Twin 40mm AA
10 x 20mm AA
Cargo 7,700 Long Tons

On January 28, 1944 acquired by the U.S. Navy (USN) on a loan-charter basis then converted into the lead ship in the Mount Hood-class ammunition ship (Type C2-S-AJ1) by Norfolk Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company at Norfolk, Virginia, and at the Norfolk Navy Yard. Painted in camouflage pattern Measure 32, Design 18F. Commissioned July 1, 1944 with Comdr. Harold A. Turner in command and had an abbreviated fitting out and shakedown cruise in the Chesapeake Bay area.

Wartime History
On August 5, 1944 assigned to ComServFor, Atlantic Fleet and Assigned to Task Group 29.6 (TG 29.6). After being loaded with cargo at Norfolk, departed August 21, 1944 and six days later transited the Panama Canal and steamed independently across the Pacific via Finschafen then proceeded to Manus. On September 22, 1944 arrived at Seeadler Harbor off Manus and was assigned to ComSoWesPac to provide ammunition and explosives for warships.

Sinking History
On November 10, 1944 at 8:55am anchor in Seeadler Harbor, her cargo of explosives accidentally detonated in a massive explosion. Aboard, the entire crew was killed, except for eighteen who were ashore to pick up the ship's mail. Moored alongside and destroyed in the blast were nine Landing Craft, Mechanized (LCM) and a pontoon barge.

The massive explosion caused a huge fireball that damaged and casualties on 36 other vessels in the anchorage including ships anchored as far as 2,000 yards away. Other vessels damage from the explosion or debris included: USS Abarenda (IX-131), USS Alhena (AKA-9), USS Argonne (AS-10), USS Aries (AK-51), USS Cacapon (AO-52), USS Cebu (ARG-6), USS Kyne (DE-744), USS Lyman (DE-302), USS Mindanao (ARG-3), USS Oberrender (DE-344), USS Petrof Bay (CVE–80), USS Piedmont (AD-17), USS Potawatomi (ATF-109), SS Preserver (ARS-8), USS Saginaw Bay (CVE-82), USS Talbot (DD-114), USS Walter C. Wann (DE-412), USS Young (DD-580), USS YF-681, USS YMS-1, USS YMS-140m USS YMS-238, USS YMS-243, USS YMS-319, USS YMS-335, USS YMS-342, USS YMS-39, USS YMS-49, USS YMS-52, USS YMS-71, USS YMS-81, USS YO-77, USS YMS 293, USS YMS 286, USS YMS 340 and USS YMS 341.

USS Mindanao (ARG-3) was anchored 350 yards away. Topside 82 of her crew were killed by the blast and shrapnel. Moored alongside her starboard quarter were four motor minesweepers including USS YMS 293, USS YMS 286, USS YMS 340 and USS YMS 341. Afterwards, a photograph of salvage efforts showed the ship severely damaged with large holes in the port side from shrapnel that impacted the hull. Afterwards, it was under repair until December 21, 1944.

USS Cebu (ARG-6) was anchored 800 yards away and the deck was hit by shrapnel and debris that killed five crew and wounded six others. The ship also sustained damage.

USS Argonne (AS-10) was hit by 221 pieces of debris and recovered 1,300 pounds of wreckage during the search for survivors. The explosion results in 327 missing 45 dead and 371 injured. Officially stricken from the Navy register on December 11, 1944.

AEN1C Michael Kunz, CASU 49 adds:
"I was there on a Navy transport ship when the Hood blew up. we were at anchor about a mile from where the Hood was. We all ran for cover and waited about three minutes and then the oil came raining down on us. We were never told what had caused the explosion."

Steve Nazzise adds:
"A troop transport USS Chateau Thieery (AP-31) was tied up and ready to depart about 300 yards from the Mt. Hood when she exploded. She was one of the troop transports bringing the PT Boaters back home along with other troops from the battle fields of the Pacific."

After the explosion, no remains of any of the crew were located. The entire crew was officially declared dead November 10, 1944. All remain listed as Missing In Action (MIA) and are memorialized at Manila American Cemetery on the tablets of the missing.

The explosion destroyed the entire ship. The largest piece of wreckage recovered was only 10' x 16'. Underwater, divers discovered a trench roughly 1,000' x 200' and roughly 40' deep created by the shock wave underwater caused by the explosion.

NARA War Diary, Manus Naval Base - November 1944
NARA USS YMS-293 "Amplifying Damage Report - U.S.S. YMS 293 November 29, 1944 pages 1-2
Navy History and Heritage Command - Mount Hood I (AE-11) 1944
Navy History and Heritage Command - H-029-5: A Brief History of Major U.S. Navy Ordnance Accidents
"1944, Mount Hood (AE-11): On 10 November 1944 in Seeadler Harbor, Manus Island, Admiralty Islands (near New Guinea), the new ammunition ship Mount Hood (AE-11) spontaneously exploded with 3,800 tons of ordnance aboard, obliterating the ship and every one of her over 300 crewmen. The largest piece of the ship found was 16 by 10 feet, and no human remains were recovered. All personnel topside on the nearby repair ship Mindanao (ARG-3) were killed and the ship was perforated by shrapnel, killing 82 of her crew. Twenty-two small craft and boats were sunk. Eighteen larger ships were damaged to some degree, including the escort carriers Saginaw Bay (CV-82), Petrof Bay (CVE-80), a destroyer, and four destroyer escorts. In total, 372 were killed (including 327 missing) and 371 were injured. The board of inquiry was unable to determine an exact cause. The only survivors of Mount Hood’s crew were a shore party of 14 men (a different report says 18) and another six men who left by boat shortly before the explosion. Two of these men were being taken to the brig ashore for court martial their charges were dropped."
USS Mount Hood (AE-11) -- Explosion, 11 [sic 10] November 1944 via Wayback Machine November 13, 2014
Navy Historical Center - USS Mount Hood (AE-11), 1944-1944 via Wayback Machine November 24, 2014
USS Mount Hood explosion and official investigation and Eyewitness Accounts by Survivors via Wayback Machine January 15, 2017
NavSource - USS Mount Hood (AE-11)
HullNumber - USS Mt. Hood (AE-11) crew roster
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - Marvin L. Edwards
FindAGrave - S1 Marvin L Edwards (tablets of the missing)
FindAGrave - Marvin Lee Edwards (memorial marker)

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Silas Talbot

Silas Talbot (January 11, 1751 – June 30, 1813) was an officer in the Continental Army and in the Continental Navy during the American Revolution. Talbot is most famous for commanding the USS Constitution from 1799 to 1801.

Talbot was born in Dighton, Massachusetts and came from a poor family. He first took to seafaring at the age of twelve serving as cabin boy in a coasting vessel. Talbot’s performance proved to be outstanding and in 1772 had saved up enough money to buy and settle a home in Providence, Rhode Island.

==Military and naval service==

On June 28, 1775 Talbot received the commission of a captain in the 2nd Rhode Island Regiment. He was commissioned a captain in the Continental Army on July 1, 1775. After participating in the siege of Boston Talbot and the American Army began their march to New York. Along the way they stopped at New London whose port had just received Esek Hopkins who had just landed from a sailing exposition in the Bahamas. After learning that Hopkins was going to petition General Washington for 200 volunteers needed to assist his squadron in reaching Providence, Talbot volunteered his services in this effort.

After Talbot made his way back to New York where he aiding in the transportation of troops, he obtained command of a fire ship and attempted to use it to set fire to the British warship HMS Asia (1764) on September 14, 1776. The attempt failed, but the daring it displayed, and that Talbot was severely burned during the effort, won him a promotion to major on October 10, 1777 retroactive to September 1st.

After suffering a severe wound at Fort Mifflin, while fighting to defend Philadelphia, on October 23, 1777, Talbot returned to active service in the summer of 1778 and fought a the Battle of Rhode Island on August 28, 1778.

As commander of Pigot (which he had captured from the British), and later Argo, both under the Army, he cruised against Loyalist vessels that were harassing American trade between Long Island and Nantucket and made prisoners of many of them. On November 14, 1778 the Continental Congress passed a resolution which recognized his success in capturing the Pigot and promoted him to lieutenant colonel on the same date.

Because of his success fighting afloat for the Army, Congress made him a captain in the Continental Navy on September 17, 1779. However, since Congress had no suitable warship to entrust to him, Talbot put to sea in command of the privateer General Washington. In it, he took one prize, but soon thereafter ran into the British fleet off New York. After a chase, he struck his colors to Culloden, a 74-gun ship-of-the-line and remained a prisoner until exchanged for a British officer in December 1781.

After the war, Talbot settled in Johnstown, New York, the county seat of Fulton County, where he purchased the former manor house and estate of Sir William Johnson, founder of Johnstown. He was a member of the New York State Assembly in 1792 and 1792-93.

In January 1793, Talbot was elected as a Federalist to the 3rd United States Congress, and served from March 4, 1793, to June 5, 1794, when President George Washington chose him third in a list of six captains of the newly established United States Navy. He was ordered to superintend the construction of the frigate USS President at New York. In 1797, Talbot supervised the building of the USS Constitution, “Old Ironsides,” at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston, Massachusetts.

With the outbreak of the Quasi-War with France, Talbot was commissioned as a captain in the United States Navy on May 11, 1798. He served as commander of the USS Constitution from June 5, 1799 until September 8, 1801, sailing it to the West Indies where he protected American commerce from French privateers during the Quasi-War. He commanded the Santo Domingo Station in 1799 and 1800 and was commended by the Secretary of the Navy for protecting American commerce and for laying the foundation of a permanent trade with that country. It is said that Talbot was wounded 13 times and carried 5 bullets in his body.

Captain Talbot resigned from the Navy on September 21, 1801 and died in New York City on June 30, 1813. He was buried in Trinity Churchyard in lower Manhattan.

The first USS Talbot (Torpedo Boat No. 15) was named for Lt. John Gunnell Talbot the second and third Talbots (Talbot (DD-114) and Talbot (FFG-4), respectively) were named for Captain Silas Talbot.

USS Moffett – USS-362

This MOFFETT (DD-362) cover was cancelled on 1 January 1937 with a type 3 cancel that indicates she was in Boston, Mass as evidenced by the killer bar insertion. A one and one-half cent Scott #684 stamp, showing President Warren G. Harding, was used for this cover

The cover is addressed to Raymond Van Tress, who is USCS #763. Since Mr. Van Tress was from Portland, Oregon it appears he may have been active in the USS OREGON Chapter #22 of the USCS. He was a cover sponsor and printer for special events at that time. (Editor: Raymond Van Trees was listed as the Acting Secretary-Treasurer in the 1939 USCS Annual Year Book. The write up on the USS Oregon Chapter notes that the chapter had been in active for some time and was working on reorganization plans at the time. The 1938 Year Book had no listing for the chapter but did list Van Tress as a society member. It notes the members “Mac” McCamley and Van Tress had kept the chapter alive and had sponsored covers for the chapter. The 1940 USCS Year Book lists Van Tress as a member but there is no write up on the Oregon Chapter. Van Tress was not listed in the 1943 Year Book but was listed again in the 1944 and 1945 Year Books but is not listed after that.)

Do you know who the cachet artist is? I have consulted with a few knowledgeable collectors of Naval Covers and have yet to come up with an answer. If you know, please email me at [email protected] or send a note to the editor ( [email protected] ).

The keel of the MOFFETT was laid on 2 January 1934 and she was commissioned on 28 August 1936. This was her very first New Year! She was struck from the Navy rolls on 28 January 1947. If you are interested in more details of MOFFETT and her rich philatelic history be sure to check out the August 2006 and October 2006 issues of the USCS Log.

Born in Minneapolis, Van Valkenburgh moved to Milwaukee when he was a toddler. His father was a prominent lawyer also named Franklin Van Valkenburgh, who served as Milwaukee assistant city attorney and a U.S. attorney for Wisconsin. His great-grandmother's brother was Daniel Wells Jr., who represented Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District in the 1850s. He grew up on Milwaukee's east side, attending Cass Elementary School and graduating from East Side High School, later renamed Riverside High School. [1]

Franklin Van Valkenburgh was appointed a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy on September 15, 1905, and graduated on June 4, 1909. After service in the battleship USS Vermont (BB-20) and in USS South Carolina, Van Valkenburgh was commissioned ensign on June 5, 1911. Traveling to the Asiatic Station soon thereafter, he joined the submarine tender USS Rainbow (AS-7) at Olongapo, Philippine Islands, on September 11,. He reported to the gunboat USS Pampanga (PG-39) as executive officer on June 23, 1914, for a short tour in the southern Philippines before his detachment on August 4,.

After returning to the United States, Lt. (jg.) Van Valkenburgh joined USS Connecticut (BB-18) on November 11,. Following postgraduate work in steam engineering at the Naval Academy in September 1915, he took further instruction in that field at Columbia University before reporting to USS Rhode Island (BB-17) on March 2, 1917. The entry of the United States into World War I found Van Valkenburgh serving as the battleship's engineering officer. Subsequent temporary duty in the receiving ship at New York preceded his first tour as an instructor at the Naval Academy. On June 1, 1920, Van Valkenburgh reported on board USS Minnesota (BB-22) for duty as engineer officer, and he held that post until the battleship was decommissioned in November 1921.

He again served as an instructor at the Naval Academy—until May 15, 1925—before he joined USS Maryland (BB-46) on June 26,. Commissioned commander on June 2, 1927, while in Maryland, he soon reported for duty in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations on May 21, 1928, and served there during the administrations of Admirals Charles F. Hughes and William V. Pratt. Detached on June 28, 1931, Van Valkenburgh received command of the destroyer USS Talbot (DD-114) on July 10, and commanded Destroyer Squadron 5 from March 31, 1932.

After attending the Naval War College, Newport, R.I., and completing the senior course in May 1934, Comdr. Van Valkenburgh next served as inspector of naval materiel at the New York Navy Yard before going to sea again as commanding officer of USS Melville (AD-2) from June 8, 1936, to June 11, 1938. Promoted to captain while commanding Melville—on December 23, 1937—he served as inspector of material for the 3d Naval District from August 6, 1938, to January 22, 1941.

On February 5, 1941, Van Valkenburgh relieved Capt. Harold C. Train as commanding officer of USS Arizona (BB-39) . Newly refitted at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Arizona served as flagship of Battleship Division 1 for the remainder of the year, based primarily at Pearl Harbor with two trips to the west coast.

In a letter to a relative, Faith Van Valkenburgh Vilas, dated November 4, 1941, Captain Van Valkenburgh wrote: "We are training, preparing, maneuvering, doing everything we can do to be ready. The work is intensive, continuous, and carefully planned. We never go to sea without being completely ready to move on to Singapore if need be, without further preparation. Most of our work we are not allowed to talk about off of the ship. I have spent 16 to 20 hours a day on the bridge for a week at a time, then a week of rest, then at it again.

"Our eyes are constantly trained Westward, and we keep the guns ready for instant use against aircraft or submarines whenever we are at sea. We have no intention of being caught napping." [ citation needed ]

On December 4, the battleship went to sea in company with USS Nevada (BB-36) and USS Oklahoma (BB-37) for night surface practice and, after conducting these gunnery exercises, returned to Pearl Harbor independently on the 6th to moor at berth F-7 alongside Ford Island.

Both Captain Van Valkenburgh and the embarked division commander, Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, spent the next Saturday evening, December 6, on board. Suddenly, shortly before 08:00 on December 7, Japanese planes initiated their attack on Pearl Harbor. Captain Van Valkenburgh ran from his cabin and arrived on the navigation bridge, where he immediately began to direct his ship's defense. A quartermaster in the pilot house asked if the captain wanted to go to the conning tower—a less-exposed position in view of the Japanese strafing—but Captain Van Valkenburgh adamantly refused and continued to man a telephone.

A violent explosion suddenly shook the ship, throwing the three occupants of the bridge—Captain Van Valkenburgh, an ensign, and the quartermaster, to the deck, and blowing out all of the bridge windows completely. The ensign managed to escape, but Captain Van Valkenburgh and the quartermaster were never seen again. A continuing fire, fed by ammunition and oil, raged for two days until finally being extinguished on December 9. Despite a thorough search, Captain Van Valkenburgh's body was never found all that was ever retrieved was his Annapolis class ring.

Captain Van Valkenburgh posthumously received the Medal of Honor—the citation reading in part: "for devotion to duty . extraordinary courage, and the complete disregard of his own life."

Watch the video: Обзор модели USS John F. Kennedy CV-67, Trumpeter, 1700. Aircraft carrier review